Laos, Si Pan Don, Wat Phou & Pakse: Khmer Culture & Southern Laos - 5 Days | 4000 Islands, Ancient Temples, and Waterfalls
Explore some of Laos' best waterfalls, see the mighty Mekong at its widest, and visit the 4000 islands region, French colonial historical sites, and Khmer temples across southern Laos. You’ll ride elephants to Mount Asa and take a ferry ride to Don Khong Island. You might even get to see the rare Irrawaddy river dolphins near Ban Hang Khon. Come explore the beauty of Southern Laos.
Travel No. 63169
You can find these and other travels under the following categories:
- See the stunning Tad Lo and Tad Fan Waterfalls
- Visit the World Heritage Khmer temple Wat Phou
- Tour Champassak ancient city
- Take a ferry to Don Khong of the “Si Pan Don," or 4000 Islands
- Stay the night on Don Khong Island
- Cruise around the 4000 islands by long-tail boat
- Visit Li Phi Falls and French Colonial historic sites and Khon Phapeng Falls
- Transfer to Don Kalor, the Cambodian border
Day 01 Laos/Thailand Border – Wat Phou Temple – Pakse (L)
After meeting with your guide at the border or airport we'll head south reaching the ruined Khmer temple complex of Wat Phou. The first temple on the site was built as early as the 5th century, though the current ruins are from the 11th to 13th centuries. This complex was designated a World Heritage site in 2001. Return to Pakse for the night
Day 02 The beauty of the Bolaven Plateau (B/L)
The Bolaven Plateau, located in the Annamite Mountain Range which runs along Laos’ eastern border with Vietnam. The renowned coffee of Lao PDR is produced in this region: the climate of the plateau, with its cooler temperatures and abundant rainfall makes it the perfect place for coffee production. Take time to view several cascading waterfalls -- including the famous Tad Lo and Tad Fan Waterfalls where we will spend the night.
Day 03 Phou Asa Mountain - The 4000 islands - Don Khong Island (B/L)
After breakfast we'll head to the little village of Ban Khiet Ngong, where we'll take an elephant ride to Mount Asa. Later in the afternoon we’ll take a scenic drive to Don Khong. This island is one of the larger permanent islands in the ‘Si Pan Don’ (4000 Islands) area. We'll spend the night on Don Khong Island.
Day 04 Si Phan Don - Waterfalls - Don Khone Island (B/L)
Early in the morning we’ll explore Si Pan Don. Here the Mekong River is at its widest, stretching up to 12 km during the rainy season. As the waters recede, many small islands emerge, giving the region its name. From a distance you can hear the unmistakable roar of the Li Phi falls, which we will visit. These falls are famous for the Irrawaddy freshwater dolphins that swim nearby. Ban Hang Khon is one of the few places on earth it's possible to spot these endangered mammals. We’ll also view the old locomotive and a railway and colonial bridge built by the French in order to avoid navigating the rapids and waterfalls in this section of the Mekong.
Day 05 Don Khong – Khon Phapeng Falls - Don Kalor border/return to Pakse (B/L)
We'll start with a visit to the famous cascade falls of Khon Phapeng. After lunch in a nearby restaurant, we'll continue our journey to the border at Don Kalor. From there, you can transfer to Cambodia or return to Pakse.
Included Travel Services
- All sightseeing as described in program above
- Transportation in private vehicles
- Accommodation in hotels (twin shared)
- English speaking guide
- Admission fees to sights described above
- Meals where indicated in itineraries (B = Breakfast; L = Lunch; D = Dinner)
- Lao PDR government tax and service charge
- Luggage handing
Not Included Travel Services
- International air tickets to/from Lao PDR
- Visa fee (approximately US$30/pax, depending on nationality)
- Travel insurance of any kind
- Meals not mentioned in itinerary
- Tips, drinks, personal expenses and other expenses not described in the program above
- Single room surcharge on request
Accessibility: Our trips are generally unsuitable for people with reduced mobility and other disabilities. Please contact us to discuss if this trip is suitable for your specific requirements.